There are currently four major categories of burial ground in the county.
- Old closed burial grounds vested in the County Council
Link to List
- 11 village/rural burial grounds operated by the County Council.
1 urban burial ground at Summerhill, Enniscorthy operated by Wexford County Council.
- Burial grounds in each of the four major towns.
Wexford: Crosstown – Wexford Borough Council New Ross: St. Stephens Joint Local Authority Burial Ground Enniscorthy:
St. Mary’s - St. Mary's Burial Ground Committee
Summerhill - Wexford County Council
Gorey: St. Michaels Parish Committee
- Parish operated burial grounds.
Burial Ground Legislation
The principle legislation governing Sanitary Authorities in relation to Burial Grounds is as follows:
- Public Health (Ireland) Act 1878
- Sanitary Services Act 1948
- Local Government Act 1994
- Rules and Regulations for the Regulation of Burial Grounds made under the 1878 Act
- Local Government Act, 2001.