Making an Appeal
An appeal may be made by:
- The applicant for permission.
- Any person who makes written submission to the Planning Authority in connection with the planning application.
- Any person who has an interest in and adjoining the site of the planning application and who has been granted leave to appeal by An Bord Pleanála.
Appeals must be received by the Board within 4 weeks beginning on the date of the making of the decision by the Planning Authority (N.B. not the date of which the decision is sent or received).
An appeal to An Bord Pleanála should include:
- Your own name and address. Where an agent makes an appeal, he/she must give the name and address of the person whose behalf he/she is appealing.
- The subject matter of the appeal (details of the nature and site of the proposed development, the name of the Planning Authority, the planning register number, the applicants name and address if you are a third party).
- The full grounds of appeal and supporting material and arguments. (Non-planning issues cannot be taken into consideration). Any grounds of appeal or information submitted after the appeal is lodged cannot be taken into consideration by the Board.
- The correct fee.
- Copy of receipt and acknowledgement issued by the Planning Authority in respect of objection.
Appeal Fee must be Paid
An appeal to An Bord Pleanála will be invalid unless the correct fee is paid within the statutory period. A request for an Oral Hearing must be accompanied by a fee additional to the appeal fee. Submission or observations made to An Bord Pleanála by or on behalf of a person other than the applicants, as regards an appeal made by another person, must be accompanied also by the appropriate fee, and the submission/observations will not be considered by An Bord Pleanála unless the fee is received.
Scale of Fees
The scale of fees payable are available on An Bord Pleanala’s website www.pleanala.ie
The Grant of Permission
In case of a decision to grant any Permission, Permission for Retention, Outline Permission or Permission Consequent on the Grant of Outline Permission (as may be appropriate), notification of grant shall be issued by the Planning Authority on the expiration of the appeal period if there is then no appeal before An Bord Pleanála. This notification cannot be issued until at least 3 working days after the expiration of the appeal period.
Address of An Bord Pleanála
An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1 (Phone: 1890275175). Also www.pleanala.ie
(These notes are intended for information purposed only and do not purport to be a legal interpretation of the Acts and Regulations)