Skip to page contents
General Introductions to History of the County
- Bernard Browne,Living by the Pen: a biographical dictionary of County Wexford, Wexford. Bernard Browne, 1997. Brief biographies of Wexford writers and details of their publications. ISBN: 0 9525771 27
- Elizabeth Brown & Tom Wickham (ed),
The County Wexford Extracts from Samuel Lewis, Topographical dictionary of Ireland, originally published in 1837, and arranged alphabetically by civil parish. Lewis’s Wexford, Enniscorthy. 1983
- Billy Colfer, The County of Wexford. Wexford. Foillsitheoiri Cois Slaine, 1981. A brief, informative account of the county’s history.
- H. Grattan Flood, History of the Diocese of Ferns. Waterford. Downey & Co, 1916. A parish by parish account of the Roman Catholic diocese of Ferns.
- Nicholas Furlong & John Hayes, County Wexford in the Rare Oul’ Times, Wexford. Old Distillery Press,
Vol 1 (1985); Vol 2 (1987) ISBN: 0 9512812 0 8;
Vol 3 (1996) ISBN: 0 9512812 2 4
These are important introductions to the photographic record of the county.
- George Griffith, Chronicles of County Wexford, Enniscorthy, 1877. A record of memorable incidents, disasters, social occurrences and crimes, also biographies of eminent persons brought down to the year, 1877.
- Philip H Hore, History of the Town and County of Wexford. Elliot Stock,
Vol 1 (1900); Vol 2 (1901); Vol 3 (1901); Vol 4 (1904); Vol 5 (1906); Vol 6 (1911). This standard ‘county history’ contains little nineteenth century information.
- J. B.Leslie, Ferns Clergy and Parishes. Dublin. Church of Ireland Printing, 1936. A parish-by-parish history of the Church of Ireland diocese of Ferns.
- Mary Tubridy & Ted Culleton (eds), County Wexford Guides Series:
No. 1 Introducing County Wexford
No 2 Traces of County Wexford’s Past
No.3 Nature and landscape in County Wexford
No 4 Culture, farming and villages of Wexford. Wexford
Wexford Organisation for Rural Development, (WORD) 1994.
- Kevin Whelan, & William Nolan (ed), Wexford: History and Society. Dublin. Geography Publications,1987, ISBN: 0 906602 0 68. A collection of essays by national and local historians on aspects of the county’s history.
Back to Starting Points