Programme of Events
Wexford County Council Public Library Service provides a programme of events throughout the year.
Every branch has regular events and special highlights as listed below.
Should you require additional supports to enable you to participate fully in any of the events, please contact the branch library.
Contact Numbers and People
|Branch||Staff Name||Contact Details|
|Bunclody Library||Yvonne Smyth||053 9375466|
|Enniscorthy Library||Jarlath Glynn||053 9236055|
|Gorey Library||Anne Griffin||053 9421481|
|New Ross Library||Patrica Keenan||051 421877|
|Wexford Town Library||
Dearbhla Ní Laighin
Friday, 24th March at 1.30pm – Wexford Library - Facebook for Business (LEO Training Courses)
Advanced Course to use Facebook to promote your business. These courses are given by the Local Enterprise Office aimed at companies interested in promoting their business through social media.
Bookings essential. Make directly with Local Enterprise Office by calling 053 9196022. €25 per participant. Tea/coffee provided.
Saturday, 25th March at 11.30am – Bunclody Library - Gymboree With Darina Gleeson
This event is a play and music programme suitable for babies to 6 years. Children will learn about different types of music through movement. Music ranges from Africa to Asia, ABBA to totally 80s. Mascot on the day is Gymbo the clown. Not to be missed.
Booking essential phone 053 9375466
Saturday, 25th March at 2.30pm – Bunclody Library - Movie for Adults:
The Lobster is a 2015 Irish - internationally produced black comedy. In the film's setting, single people are given 45 days to find a romantic partner or otherwise be turned into animals. Stars Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz. Won Jury prize at 2015 Cannes Film.
Saturday, 25 March 7:00pm – New Ross Library - Gymboree Active Fun (for 6mths - 6yrs)
Enhance your child's development and love of music through song, dance, movement games and instruments.
Parents to stay for duration.Booking essential 051 421877.
Monday, 27th March at 10.30am – Wexford Library - Enjoying Irish with Young Children with Aine Ní Shúilleabháin
Early exposure to linguistic learning has been shown to have many previously unsuspected benefits associated with it. For example, enhanced maths ability, higher thinking and reasoning skills, increased self-esteem, and earlier reading. These workshops involve assisting children, parents, grandparents, and childminders in exploring the simple rhymes and games in Bróga Nua. Participants will be encouraged to take part in action rhymes, simple games, and sing-songs in Irish, e.g. Ring-a-Ring-a-Rósaí, Aon Dó, Muc is Bó etc. You do not need to be an Irish speaker.
Booking essential 053 9196760
Tuesday, 28th March at 10:45am – New Ross Library - Bróga Nua with Áine Ní Shúilleabhaín
“Bróga Nua” is an easy to use tool for adults who wish to introduce the Irish language to children.
This event is suitable for pre-school children, to book call 051 421877.
Tuesday, 28th March at 7.00pm – Wexford Library - Developing Young Children's Numeracy Skills
Donna Carolan, DCU Institute of Education will visit the library. Have you ever wondered what you could do to help your young child develop their numeracy skills? We will explore how you, as a parent, can be active in developing your child’s numeracy skills through meaningful everyday experiences. We will also look at a selection of picture books and how they too can be used to support the development of early numeracy skills.
Booking essential 053 9196760
Thursday, 30th March from 10.30am to 1.00pm – Gorey Library - Business Advice Clinic
'Let's Talk Business - It's Free!' Gorey Chamber in conjunction with Wexford Local Enterprise Office and Gorey Library will hold a Business Advice Clinic aimed at Start Ups, Expansion and Restructuring.
Booking by appointment only at Gorey Chamber 053 9484520
Thursday, 30th March at 7.00pm – Bunclody Library – Gardening Talk with Philip Hollwey
Philip Hollwey, a member of Bunclody Horticultural Society uses many years of practical gardening and design experience to offer a flexible and personal design service which will maximise the potential of your garden.
Thursday, 30th March at 7.00pm – Wexford Library - Easter Cake Decorating
Easter Cake Demonstration with Niamh Radford to see how simple cake decoration techniques can be used to make impressive cakes time and time again. Niamh will look at simple effective cake toppers, as well as a versatile 'Rabbit in the Hat' cake. She will also introduce you to some alternative spring designs that can be recreated at home with no special equipment needed.
Booking essential 053 9196760
Thursday, 30th March at 7.00pm – Enniscorthy library – Author visit by Donal Ryan
Donal Ryan is the author of three number one bestselling novels and a short story collection. He has won three Irish Book Awards, the EU Prize for Literature and the Guardian First Book Award. His debut novel, The Spinning Heart was long listed for the Man Booker Prize in 2013 and was recently voted Irish Book of the Decade.
Booking Essential: 053 9236055
Regular events in Bunclody Library
- e-Resource Help Hours & Computer Classes for Beginners, Contact Bunclody library for details.
- Toddler Storytime: Join us for Stories, Rhyme and Song. Friday mornings at 11.00am
- Adult Reading Circle. Once a month on Friday mornings at 11am. New Members Welcome
- Junior Book Club meets one Thursday per month after school at 4.00pm. Children aged 9-12 meet and discuss their latest books. New Members Welcome
- Poetry Group Meeting. 1st Saturday of each month at 11am. New Members Welcome
- Class Visits, includes library tour, available for primary and secondary schools. All welcome. For details on our events please contact Bunclody library: 053 9375466. https://www.facebook.com/BunclodyLibrary/
Regular events in Enniscorthy Library
- Reading group for adults on the third Thursday of every month at 7.30pm
- Creative writing group- Slaney Writers - second Thursday of every month at 7.00pm
- Junior storytime every Tuesday at 3.30pm and evert second Saturday at 11.00am
Regular events in Gorey Library
- Toddler Story Time - Join staff at Gorey Library for Toddler Storytime and Arts & Crafts. Plenty of fun is guaranteed and everyone is welcome! Every Tuesday 11.00 am
- Gorey Writers Group - fortnightly at 7.00pm on Thursday evenings.
- R & R Book Club - Monday mornings in the second week of the month.
- eReaders. Adult reading group. Meeting on the last Tuesday of the month, this group encourages the use of eformat as well as hard copy to read and discuss chosen fiction.
For more information talk to the librarian at Gorey Library. Places must be booked
- Learn Irish with Conradh na Gaeilge and Gorey Library Classes at beginner and improver level continue in Gorey Library on Tuesday evenings from 7.00pm. Take the opportunity to build on your conversational use of the Irish language. Classes are free and all are welcome. Bígí linn le haigh ceardlann amhránaíocht an tsean nós múinte ag ain ealaíontóir Colm Ó Braonáin.
- Sean Nós singing. Join Conradh na Gaeilge Guaire on Tuesdaus at 7.00pm for a workshop in with artist Colm Brennan.
- Monthly Scrabble Club Meeting -Do you like to test your word power? Why not join the Gorey Scrabble Club? The group will meet for the first time in Gorey Library on 17th January and will meet once a month thereafter. This is a free event and all are welcome.
- Junior Book Club for children aged 9 - 12. Meets once a month on Tuesday at 3. 30pm.
- Polish Culture group - stories and arts and crafts for children. Once a month Thursdays at 5.00pm
Regular events in New Ross Library
- Monthly Story Time on Saturday at 11:15am. Come along with your under 6’s to hear some tall tales.
- Adult Reading Circle. Monthly on Tuesday at 6pm
- Creative writing group. Monthly on Tuesday at 6.30pm
- Grow It Yourself. Monthly on Tuesday 7pm
- Junior reading circle. Monthly on Friday at 3.30pm - Our reading circle for children (9-12years) , new members are always welcome, so if you know someone who might be interested spread the word.
- Friday Scrabble – every Friday at 3:30pm. Weekly meeting of the adult scrabble club. If you would like to join in please phone with your details 051 421877.
Regular events in Wexford Town Library
- Pre-school Story Time - Stories, Songs, Rhymes and Art for under 5’s - Fridays at 10.30am
- Thursday group for retired adults to talk about books - Thursdays 10.45am
- An dara Deardaoin den mhí, gach mhí - Club Leabhar Gaeilge ag 7.00pm
- Popular Maths and Science Reading Group Meeting - last Thursday of the month at 7.30pm
- Three Reading Circles.
(Contact the library for details on - 053 9196760)
- Chess Clubs for under 12 year olds each Wednesday from 3.15-4.00pm and for over 12’s from 4.00-5.15pm. All welcome
- Chatter books reading club for 8-12 year olds meet on the first Tuesday of each month from 4.00-5.00pm. All welcome
- Teen Book Club for ages 12+ meets on the first Friday of each month from 4.00-5.00pm. All welcome
- Selskar Poetry Group Meeting 12:30-13:30 on 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month. 1st Tues is a writing group, examining and reading work produced by members of the group and the 3rd Tues is an open discussion on well known, published poets.
- Local Studies Group - Fridays at 11.00am